E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

Overview of E-1 Treaty Trader Visa/ E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

E-1 and E-2 visas are issued to nationals of a country with which the U.S. has an appropriate treaty of commerce and navigation or equivalent pact. Aliens having an E-1 visa come to the U.S. to conduct substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, mainly between the U.S. and the treaty country. For the E-2 treaty investors, they enter the U.S. to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which they have invested, or are actively in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital. An applicant may qualify as the trader or investor or as an employee of a qualifying trader or investor company having the same nationality.


E-1 Treaty Trader Visa   

 E-1 Treaty Trader Requirements:

  • Applicant must be an alien who is a national of a treaty country.
  • If applicant will be employed rather than doing business on his or her own account, employing company must have (same) treaty nationality.
  • Company must be at least 50% owned by persons with treaty country nationality who are not lawful permanent residents of the U.S. and, if in the U.S., are maintaining E-1 or E-2 status.
  • The trading company must be “trading”. This includes the exchange, purchase, or sales of goods or services which is intended to develop international commercial trade between the US and the treaty counties.
  • The trading company must be engaged in doing substantial trade with the US. The applicant must show numerous transactions over time and a significant monetary value of business.
  • Over 50% of the total volume of the trade must be between the US and the treaty country.

Who can apply E-1 Visa. Owners, managers, executives, or employees in essential positions of the company.

Length of Stay in the U.S. E-1 visa is generally issued for an initial period of stay of 2 years. The E-1 stay can be renewed continuously without a limit, as long as they meet the requirements and the treaty remains in force.

Family Members (spouse/children) of E-1 treaty trader can accompany or follow to join the principal E-1 with the same type of visa. E-1 spouse can work with authorization.

Please click here to see E-1 Treaty Countries with the United States.