Outstanding Professors and Researchers (EB-1B)

Aliens under this category must be recognized internationally as outstanding in a specific academic field. They must have 3 years of experience in teaching or research in their academic areas.

Evidence of Being Outstanding. To prove him/her as an outstanding professor or researcher, the alien must show at least 2 of the following:

  1. Documentation of the alien’s receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement in the academic field;
  2. Documentation of the alien’s membership in associations in the academic field which require outstanding achievements of their members;
  3. Published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the field (published material must include the title, date, and author, and be translated if necessary);
  4. Evidence of an alien’s participation, on a panel or individually, as the judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field;
  5. Evidence of the alien’s original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the academic field; or
  6. Evidence of the alien’s authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the academic field.

Evidence that the alien has at least three years of experience in teaching and/or research in the academic field. Experience in teaching or research while working on an advanced degree will only be acceptable if the alien has acquired the degree, and if the teaching duties were such that he or she had full responsibility for the class taught or if the research conducted toward the degree has been recognized within the academic field as outstanding

Requirement of Employment. Different from EB-1A, aliens under this category must have a an employer who will offer, in the case of professor, a tenured (or tenure-track) teaching position at an U.S. university or institution of higher learning, or in the case of researcher, a comparable research position at a university or institution of higher education, or department, division, or institute of a private employer.

Labor Certification (LC). No LC approved by the Department of Labor is required.

Family Members (spouse/children). They, whether accompanying or following to join the alien, have same priority date as principal applicant.